Saturday, March 10, 2012

Back in the land of the Blogging

If you don't know (or don't have me on Facebook), I'm heading into my third week of hospital bedrest. Trying to keep these babies in place for a few more weeks! As you can probably imagine, it's very strange being here and I miss home. As we've been trying to figure out what hobbies I can still do while in a hospital bed, factoring in transportation and storage, I've decided that one thing I'd like to accomplish is to get some pages done for the baby books. It's not really feasible to do some of my more supply-intensive projects (like the balloons I was working on with the painted bottle caps), but scrapbooking page kits make that a much more manageable hobby.

In fact, for the sake of portability and manageability (and for the sake of having everything within arms' length from the bed), I've managed to whittle down my whole craft room into a few necessities (sorry about the quality of the photography - my camera isn't one of the necessities, so I'm using my phone):

A pizza-box-style cardboard box to hold paper (it was the packaging for one of the kits - perfect!).


And a 31 bag (thanks, Gwen!) for my stickers and embellishments, two sets of markers (possibly overkill, but one is better for using on stamps, and one is better for adding color to neutral elements, as you'll see below), a pair of non-stick scissors, my tape dispenser with single- and double-sided tape, and a good black pen.


So what am I making? Well, I ordered a fantastic kit from Studio Calico, and shortly after it came, I saw this gorgeous layout on the Fancy Pants blog - perfect for CASEing with my new kit!


As you might guess from the lettering, this is going to be a "homecoming" layout, for when we bring the babies home - the big cream panel will be a mat for a 4x6 photo of the babies in their coming-home outfits, and the yellow panel is actually a pocket where I can put their hospital bracelets.


The blue trim is one of the things I was referring to above - it's actually a neutral-linen non-colored trim from Pink Paislee called "mistables" - created for coloring to coordinate with a layout. I love that I can make it go with anything using my Bic marker set.


The pretty lettering (love this font!) is a similar deal - it came in a plain chipboard, so that I could color it to coordinate. I also love this butterfly - three of them came in the Studio Calico kit.


The embellishments on the left side of the page are a mix of items that came in the kit, and chipboard stickers that were included in some baby-themed kits that my dad brought me. I love mixing up elements from different kits to make something unique!

Sorry about how long this got - I'm pretty excited to be doing something "normal" on a Saturday afternoon while I'm sitting here in the hospital!

No comments: