Sunday, November 2, 2008

"To-go" Christmas cards

Each year, I make one design of Christmas cards to send out myself, and a second design for others who'd like handmade cards to send out. This is my "to-go" design this year. It's a watercolored design on Basic Grey "Figgy Pudding" paper. I used this design a few years ago, when I was just starting out, for my own Christmas cards, and I think I've improved on it this time. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the original design - it was really something.

The only thing still missing from this card, which I plan to add to the finished version, is some glimmer mist I'll be picking up this week. I think it'll add a nice subtle shine to the main image and give a little emphasis to the lamplight. This photo isn't the best of the main image, but I wanted to show what I did with the inside - I wanted to dress up the sentiment by illuminating the first letter. Little tip of the day: When I'm doing an inside sentiment on a card, I always stamp it before I mount anything to the front. That way if it's messed up or crooked (because it's almost guaranteed to be if I've already put the front on), I can just fold the base the other way and cover up the mistake with the card-front.

No comments: